[TIGGE #YSF-211129]: TCP tuning for TIGGE tuning

Doug,

Mark Uris and I (Mike Schmidt) worked together on setting appropriate
values for dataproc.  I would need to know a little more about the
operating system and revision on the system to be tuned?  Generally
speaking. most OS vendors ship with the default TCP window sizes in
the 48-64KB range.  For long distance, higher latency, and large
bandwidth connections, a better number is usually 256KB and up.
We've used 1MB window sizes safely on quite a few different operating
systems, however one has to look at the available free memory on a
given system to avoid over committing the memory resources.

 <http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune>

Is a good starting point.

mike

> Hi Tom,
>
> Did you help us out with TCP window tuning last year?  YangXin at CMA
> needs some assistance in figuring out the process, and don't recall
> exactly
> what it involved.
>
> Thanks -Doug
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: <address@hidden>
> > Date: December 12, 2006 7:52:54 AM MST
> > To: "Doug Schuster" <address@hidden>, "Baudouin Raoult"
> > <address@hidden>
> > Cc: "=CC=EF=BA=C6" <address@hidden>, "David Ian Brown" <address@hidden>,
> > "Manuel Fuentes" <address@hidden>
> > Subject: The LDM sending of data and Questions
> >
> > Regarding the TCP Tuning, I might have some misunderstanding on
> > LDM, I had thought LDM only use PRC to communicate with each other,
>
> > thus ignored the TCP's issue on LDM data exchange. I'd like to do
> > the TCP Tuning on my machine, would you like give us some hints to
> > do that? Where should I start?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > YangXin,
> > Dec 12
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
> Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program
> (303) 497-8642                                                 P.O. Box 3000
> address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307
> Unidata HomePage                       http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: YSF-211129
Department: Support IDD TIGGE