[IDD #TSR-288940]: LDM on solon (asap!)

Hi Guilherme,

re:
> yesterday we've moved solon from NCE datacenter (due to several
> infrastructure problems and lots of accumulated dust!) back to our
> lab, but we also had to change its ip address. Now it's ip is
> 146.164.128.30 and, probably due to this change, idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> is denying access  to all datasets. The DNS records on our network
> have been changed, and over your network you should already be able to
> resolve the hostname correctly.

Evidently the DNS changes you setup has not been propogated yet since
we can not do a reverse name lookup for solon:

% nslookup solon.meteoro.ufrj.br
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    solon.meteoro.ufrj.br
Address:  146.164.128.30

% nslookup 146.164.128.30
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find 146.164.128.30: Non-existent host/domain

The inability to do the reverse name lookup was causing idd.unidata.ucar.edu to
deny the feed requests it was getting from solon.

> Can you modify the allow line on
> idd.unidata.ucar.edu to reflect this change?

The allow setup does not need to be changed.  To get things working in the
short term, I added an entry in /etc/hosts on all of the idd.unidata.ucar.edu
cluster nodes to define the IP <-> name relationship for solon.  This definition
can be removed as soon as the reverse DNS for solon starts working.

After making the change to /etc/hosts, I verified that feed requests from
solon are now being honored.  Since I saw a number of 'unable to flush
connection'
messages in the ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log file, I decided to login to solon as 'ldm'
and restart the LDM.  After doing this, I ran 'ldmadmin watch' and saw that
data was flowing in.

It may be a matter of time before reverse lookup starts working for solon, but
please recheck the DNS setup to make sure that there is no problem on your end.

Finally, it would be best to send requests like this directly into our User
Support system since I may not be reading my email if I am on leave/travel
(like I was last week; I was in The Netherlands for a week and did not have
good access to my email). This is easily done by addressing the email to
'address@hidden'.

Please wish Justi and David (if you see him) a Merry Christmas and healthy
and happy New Year for me!  It goes without saying that I wish you the same!!

Ticket ID: TSR-288940
Department: Support IDD