[IDD #WLO-779174]: Goes 12 imagen

Hi Gustavo,

As promised, I setup a reworked version of your GIF generating scripts
((ir|vi|wv)-solo.exe) to run upon receipt of Unidata-Wisconsin IR, VIS,
and WV images.  I used the scripts you setup to generate GIFs to create
a single script that is run from three actions added to the end of
~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak_images.

Some comments:

- the new script is /home/ldm/util/sat-solo.sh

- I fused together the actions from three of your scripts, ir-solo.exe,
  vis-solo.exe, and wv-solo.exe, in creating the new script.  My
  thinking is that maintaining one script will be easier than maintaining
  three.

- I commented out execution of your three scripts in
  /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.9.1/gustavo/solo-sat.bat

- ~ldm/util/sat-solo.sh is a Bourne shell script, so the syntax for
  setting variables is different than what you had in your C-Shell
  scripts.  The reason for the change is that it is easier to redirect
  STDOUT and STDERR in the Bourne shell (or Bash)

- as you will see, the GIFs being created in the /home/gempak/web/sat
  directory are now owned by user 'ldm', not 'gempak'

Notes:

- it is generally a bad idea to create a subdirectory under a distribution
  directory for a software package.  What I am referring to is the
  /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.9.1/gustavo directory.  If someone other than you
  decides to upgrade GEMPAK and didn't know that you had created a directory
  filled with scripts, etc. under the old distribution, they might
  remove the old distribution and all of your hard work without knowing
  that they were doing something bad.

  I strongly suggest that you move the 'gustavo' directory out from under
  the GEMPAK5.9.1 directory to /home/gempak.

- I did not make any changes in the method you use to update web information
  (i.e., /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.9.1/gustavo/solo-sat.bat is still run by
  'gempak's cron, so /home/gempak/web/sat/une.bat is still executed).  It
  seems to me that the things that are done in une.bat might better be
  done by the script now being run by pqact, ~ldm/util/sat-solo.sh --
  the information would be made available on the web as soon as new
  images are available.

- I took the liberty of upgrading the LDM and McIDAS installations on
  your machine.  The version of the LDM that is now being used is 6.6.3,
  and the version of McIDAS is v2006h.  I did not upgrade GEMPAK because
  of the existence of the 'gustavo' directory under /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.9.1.
  Since there is a new release of GEMPAK, you might consider upgrading.

Please let me know if you see any problems with the modifications I made.

Ticket ID: WLO-779174
Department: Support IDD