[IDD #MTI-575374]: UBA-PC Problems

Hi Guillermo,

I apologize for the late reply.  We have been involved in meetings for the past
two
days...

re:
> Well, I have the new HDD 80GB Toshiba 7200rpm Installed with FC6, all
> updates done and added some packages like http, php and some more just
> for some things we have here in UBA.

Excellent!

> As you told me previously, it would be better if we do the install of the
> packages with your support if we have any trouble;

Yes.

> Where can I get/download the packages

The first thing that you will need to do is register with the Unidata web
portal.
Click on the 'Login' link from the Unidata HomePage:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

and then click on the 'Not Yet Registered?' link (assuming that you are not
already registered with our site.

> and if is there an install guide?.

Each package has its own installation guide.

> Are there any package requirements before start the install?.

Yes, each package has its own set of requirements.

The steps that you will need to take are:

- create accounts for the users 'ldm', 'gempak', 'mcidas', and 'mcadde'

  The accounts will be used for the three packages that I think you
  may want to install:

  'gempak' - GEMPAK
  'ldm'    - LDM
  'mcidas' - McIDAS-X
  'mcadde'   McIDAS-X

  I suggest that you create a group and put all of these users in that
  group, AND this be a group that is different from other users.

  NOTE: the $HOME directory for the user 'mcadde' will be the same as
  that for the user 'mcidas', /home/mcidas.  The login shell for 'mcadde'
  will be /sbin/nologin -- you do not want folks to be able to login
  as 'mcadde'

I suggest you start by installing the latest LDM release:

<login as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.6.5.tar.gz
  quit

tar xvzf ldm-6.6.5.tar.gz

cd ldm-6.6.5/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids      <- 'make install_setuids' MUST be done as 'root'!

cd ~ldm
ln -s ldm-6.6.5 runtime
ln -s runtime/* .

ln -s /data/ldm data           <- create the /data/ldm file system on one of
your large disks
                                  and make sure that it is writable by 'ldm'
ln -s /data/ldm/logs logs
touch logs/ldmd.log

mkdir decoders util

-- edit the shell-specific configuration (e.g., .cshrc for C Shell,
.bash_profile for
   Bash, etc.) and add the ~ldm/decoders and ~ldm/util directories to PATH)

-- as 'root' setup the needed entries in /etc/syslog.conf, /etc/rpc, and
/etc/services

-- as 'root' change the settings in /etc/selinux/config to set SELINUX to
disabled:

SELINUX=disabled

reboot to force the /etc/selinux/config modification to take effect

Before starting the LDM, you will need to install and configure:

- the latest distribution of GEMPAK; see:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/packages/gempak

  for details

- copy the GEMPAK decoder executables to ~ldm/decoders

- run the $NAWIPS/ldm/etc/gen_pqact.csh script to create pqact.conf file
actions and ldmd.conf
  entries needed to run GEMPAK

-- merge in the UBA modifications to ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf ('exec's and
'request's) you had in
   place on your existing system and ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf actions that you
should have saved off

If all was done correctly, then you should be able to start the LDM and resume
data ingestion
and processing.  When we get to this point, we can cover installation of McIDAS
if you choose
to install it.

> I'll be trying to recover what I can from the previous disks tomorrow
> sunday.

I hope that this went well.

> The HDD of 80GB is just for the FC6 System, I have 2 more disks of 250GB
> for the UNIDATA System.

Nice!

> Thanks for all,

No worries.