[IDD #MTI-575374]: UBA-PC Problems

Hi Guillermo,

This is an overdue update on what I did on unidata.at.fcen.uba.ar this past
weekend.

I downloaded, built, installed, and configured McIDAS-X v2007 on Saturday
night/Sunday day.  I also worked on consolidating pattern-actions needed
for processing of data that is common to McIDAS and GEMPAK.  In doing this
I found and fixed problems in ~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak_decoders (there were
spaces in the 'GEMPAK shell scripts that produce GIF files' actions in places
that should have been tabs).  I also updated the operating system with the
latest patches using:

<as 'root'>
yum -y update

After the update I had to reboot to begin running a newly installed kernel.

I did not have a chance to look through the /mnt/hdc1 or /backup file
systems.

Questions:

- is there something that you want me to look at on the mounted file systems?

- are the actions at the bottom of ~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak_images producing
  the GIF files like they are supposed to be

- what else did you want me to look at on your machine

Big Question:

- is there a firewall setup on the machine or in the UBA network that will
  keep hackers out?

I ask this question because I was able to SSH to the machine from my home
machine.

Ticket ID: MTI-575374
Department: Support IDD