[IDD #WNB-363693]: IDD Access

> We would like to become a Unidata community.  We offer critical weather at
> no cost to pilots and are developing a Cell phone application so that anyone
> with a mobile phone can access critical weather safety information.  We
> provide our services free of charge to help further aviation safety which is
> all advertisement-free as well.  We go thru a great expense monthly to do
> this and obtaining some of the information we need is quite costly.
>

> What we would like to get access to is:  NLDN and various textual data
> products.  Can you provide the information needed to get acess to these
> feeds?
>

> Dennis
>
> MyAirplane.com

Hello Dennis,

Sounds like a great site!

First, the NLDN data is restricted, it can ONLY be sent to degree granting
universities. You can contact Vaisala, who purchased the NLDN, and see what
their pricing structure currently is, please see:

http://www.vaisala.com/weather/products/lightning/knowledgecenter/aboutnldn

Regarding textual products...not sure which ones you want, but most are
available freely at:

http://www.weather.gov/view/

To become a part of our "community" you must be associated with either a
degree granting university/college or a known research lab.

Universities ~can feed whomever they wish, but they also CANNOT propagate the
NLDN data to others, they could (however) feed you NWS text products. That
relationship would need to be fostered by you and the agreeing university as
they would also be responsible for supporting your feed.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but hopefully it is clear.

Please let us know if we can add any information for your search.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support