Re: [ldm-users] NOGAPS LDM feed dead?

Linda,

I've been primarily talking to
Mark Ignaszewski (address@hidden) and secondarily to Chuck Skupniewicz (address@hidden). I copied an exchange with Mark to Unidata Support, and Tom strongly encouraged him to work with y'all.

After that, they had an apparent hardware failure and I contacted Mark again. I was able to help him get service reestablished at that time but it seriously sounds like they have both hardware and software issues.

I've also been told that they have a new contract person in the works but he's not aboard yet, and also is not familiar with LDM. At this point my interests are twofold: 1. Keep the data flowing and 2. keep the guys at FNMOC as comfortable as possible to accomplish #1 above. If that means answering questions for them (and keeping y'all informed) I'm more than willing to do so.

More complete contact info:
Mark Ignaszewski
Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center
Models and Data Team
7 Grace Hopper Avenue
Monterey, CA 93943
USA
Voice: (+1) 831-656-4370 -- Fax: (+1) 831-656-4363
E-mail: address@hidden

I don't have better contact info on Chuck.

Please advise if what I've done and propose is inappropriate. I'm just trying to keep things going, as we really need these data for SCOOP. It improves our prediction times by over an hour for our WaveWatch-III products.

Thanks, gerry

Linda Miller wrote:
Hi Gerry,

We appreciate your assistance in this matter. Yesterday was the first day that I've heard anything about this. Jeff Weber, of course, works with me, and he and I discussed the situation yesterday morning. He mentioned that you had been trying to track things down. Would you send address@hidden the names of the contacts that you finally got hold of, and copy me on the message? Unidata needs to be tracking such things, because we have worked with them for years, and we need to find out what has happened, and why we weren't contacted. As you know, we try to stay on top of such issues, but this one seems to have taken on a life of its own. Thanks again for putting the two people in touch with Unidata support. It sounds like you've done a great job of reaching out to the people at FNMOC and we certainly are appreciative. I really hope they will begin working with Unidata support, and the LDM upgrade would probably go much smoother for them.

Linda

Gerry Creager wrote:
Linda, Art,

A little more follow-up.

I talked to Jeff Weber recently, and asked essentially the same thing: What happened. Jeff had been unable to find who was answering questions on the topic of LDM feeds, and we also noted that the data were not routinely available via the usgodae3 server. I called several of my contacts in Fleet Numerical, and got several "no answer" responses, unusual compared to recent exchanges with them, so I changed tactics and called a contact at NRL. He had no idea what was happening with the data (the models were running and internal data distribution was proceeding) but referred me to the office of the Commanding Officer, where I was assured the phone would be answered.

What's happened is that the corporate history of LDM operation has been lost in Monterrey, and they're trying to rebuild that but it's not proceeding as fast as they'd like. I've gotten the two guys now responsible for keeping systems intact in touch with Unidata support, but it also takes someone checking status and calling to offer help if they go down, as monitoring LDM isn't something they routinely do these days. They're also in the process of replacing hardware and software. I've offered to make a trip to help w/ LDM (and have suggested a closer alliance with Unidata Support if that's their preference) when the new hardware is available.

We're monitoring the status here a little more closely now, as we need FNMOC models for our SCOOP work during the Atlantic Hurricane Season, so I'm hoping we can help keep 'em up.

I'm more'n happy to field questions, if that'll help, but the usual disclaimer applies: We're not FNMOC, we're just an interested and concerned user group who saw they were having problems.

Linda, of note, while they've been introduced to the Support side of things, the guys at FNMOC don't seem to be using it. If I can help in this, that's what I've been trying to do, and I've included a copy of correspondence to Support when there's been a software issue. If it'll help I can add a note to the LDM users list when we see problems.

gerry

Cote, Donna L wrote:
Linda, Art,

Gerry Creager has managed to reach a real person at Fleet Numerical and is working toward keeping their LDM feed up.
Donna Cote
Texas A&M University
(979) 862-3982