[Fwd: NOGAPS data availability?]

FYI---

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        NOGAPS data availability?
Date:   Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:45:41 -0600
From:   Linda Miller <address@hidden>
To:     address@hidden
CC:     address@hidden, Jeff Weber <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

We haven't talked for a long time, and it seems like we are waving at one another at the AMS Annual Meeting these days, but I hope things are going well for you.

As you know, Unidata has worked with FNMOC to make NOGAPS and COAMPS data available to the research and education community using Unidata LDM technology. This has been a successful collaboration since 2000, but lately we are seeing very sporadic (if any at all) data availability. Several users have been contacting Unidata to find out what has happened to the data and server providing the data. In the early days of this project, we worked with LCDR David Dimitriou, but more recently our contact has been Phil Sharfstein. We haven't heard from Phil for some time, so perhaps he's moved on to a different assignment, because his emails are bouncing. If there is a new focal point for the project, would you provide that information.

Could you tell us if FNMOC has made a decision not to provide this service to the academic community any longer, because we need to provide an announcement to the community that the data will no longer be available. It has been very successful in the past, and the data have been used for important research and educational endeavors. If there's something Unidata can do to assist FNMOC in setting up the server with Unidata's LDM again, please let us know.
Thanks in advance, Mike!

Linda

--
Linda Miller - address@hidden