[IDD #WFA-619667]: Request for CONDUIT feed

Hi Randy,

I just got into the office...

re:
> I believe I misspoke. I meant to say 388tcp. I will have John confirm
> that he opened up 388tcp from noaapxcd to idd.cise-nsf.gov. He is out
> until Monday.

OK.

> I was assuming I would see the 'denying connection' message in the
> notifyme invocation.

If notifyme actually contacted the LDM server on idd.cise-nsf.gov, your
notifyme invocation would either inform you that the connection was OK
or that the connection was denied.  We are seeing neither of this
situations since the notifyme connection attempt is not even getting
to idd.cise-nsf.gov.

> I forgot about the LDM log.

I was referring to the LDM logs on idd.cise-nsf.gov and idd.unidata.ucar.edu.
I am not seeing _any_ connection attempt from noaapxcd.  This has nothing
to do with its having a different IP address.  The connections are simply
not being made.

> Instead, I am NOT
> seeing the OK message in the notifyme command after I issue it.

Correct.  You can see this another way using the 'ldmping' utility:

<as 'ldm' on noaapxcd>
ldmping idd.cise-nsf.gov
 ... Timed out while creating connection

The other test that can be easily made is using 'telnet' to port 388
on idd.cise-nsf.gov:

telnet idd.cise-nsf.gov 388

That this does not establish a connection demonstrates that the
packets are not making it to idd.cise-nsf.gov.  The firewall on
idd.cise-nsf.gov is completely open for connections on port 388
(we just re-verified this).  The firewall for idd.unidata.ucar.edu
are also wide open for connections on port 388.

re:
> I meant to also ask you when you might have the new ip address updated
> on your side.

As soon as we seen a connection attempt on idd.cise-nsf.gov and/or
idd.unidata.ucar.edu, we will make sure that the request is allowed.

re:
> sorry for all the emails. I have am now in the lab and see that we are
> getting the error message you discussed:
>
> Feb 20 18:07:44 noaapxcd idd.cise-nsf.gov[17780] ERROR: Disconnecting due to
> LDM failure; Couldn't connect to LDM on idd.cise-nsf.gov using either port
> 388 or portmapper; : RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused

These ~ldm/etc/ldmd.log messages are (unfortunately) misleading.  They really
should say that a connection could not be made.

Ticket ID: WFA-619667
Department: Support IDD