[IDD #ADS-412407]: LDM feed question (idd.cise-nsf.gov)

Hi Evan,

I apologize for the slow response to the message below.  We have some
things going on with machines here that took top priority, and I had
to finish setup on a machine that will be used as a ghost for machines
we will be renting for our upcoming training workshop series.

re:
> Weather Trends would be more than willing to provide Unidata with both
> hardware and human support.  We have servers located in Houston, TX and
> Bethlehem, PA.  Our main server in Houston could be used as a sandbox by your
> IDV/LDM/GEMPAK/NAWIPS-II development teams.  Beta and Alpha versions of
> development software could be compiled and tested on this server to ensure
> they run properly in a 64bit RelH5 Enterprise OS environment.  We've offered
> similar support to the GEMPAK developer Michael James when testing out bug
> fixes in GEMPAK 5.11.4.  This server also has a large amount of available
> bandwidth (1TB / month) which we could open up in the event of LDM failure at
> one of the several feeder universities (i.e SUNY / Rutgers / Millersville).
> We should be able to act as an LDM feeder for a day or two until the
> university can get their Hardware back online.  Beyond that timeframe we
> might have to restrict our feed bandwidth so we don't blow past our monthly
> limit (resulting in significant overage fees) as this bandwidth also includes
> our business website/data traffic which has been steadily growing.  Besides
> hardware support, we have a team of Meteorologists with undergraduate,
> graduate, and post-graduate degrees from Millersville, Rutgers, Penn State,
> Albany, Plymouth State, and Wyoming who could support Unidata with
> Meteorological support if needed.
>
> These are a few ideas that came up when discussing ways in which we could
> support Unidata.  If you can think of any other ideas, we'll definitely take
> them into consideration.

I will need to address your request in detail after I return from travel that
starts Sunday morning.  Again, I apologize for the delay...

Ticket ID: ADS-412407
Department: Support IDD