[IDD #DRS-271122]: NLDN data

Hi Michael,

re:
> Hello.  I am a scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
> I am developing a potential research project for a student involving
> US lightning.
>
> Could you tell me how I might obtain archived data from the National
> Lightning Detection Network?

Archived NLDN data is only available from Vaisala (sites including
SUNY Albany are explicitly prohibited from giving the archived data
to users outside of their campus).

However, since the UW/AOS department has been getting NLDN data for
quite a few years, there is a chance that they have their own archive
of the data.  I suggest you contact the LDM/IDD contact in AOS, Pete
Pokrandt, to explore this possibilty:

Pete Pokrandt <address@hidden>
608-262-3086

> Can I get it for free since it is for university research purposes?

If AOS does not have an archive, this is a question that only Vaisala
can answer.

> What years of data are available in the archive

Again, this is a question for either AOS or Vaisala.

> and what data format?

I would guess that the format of the archived data is the same or similar
to the format used in the NLDN IDD datastream.  This is described in our
Data->Lightning web page:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Data
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data
    Lightning
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning_data_2.html
      NLDN Lightning Data
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning.html#nldn

My guess about the format of the data archived by Vaisala could, of course,
be incorrect.  (We have never attempted to get archived data from Vaisala.)

> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: DRS-271122
Department: Support IDD