[IDD #DCG-364510]: Request of some facts regarding IDD/LDM

Hi Luis,

re: number of IDD participants
> So, i guess i won't be wrong if i point out an approximate
> number of 240 different participants in the IDD project,
> located in the five continents...?

Here is a link to the LDM/IDD status report for the most recently
held Unidata Users Committee meeting:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/committees/usercom/2010spring/statusreports/ldm-idd-status.html

In this status report, you will see that we list the IDD participation as:

  "Approximately 500 machines at 250 sites are running LDM-6 and reporting real
time
   statistics. Unidata staff routinely assist in the installation of LDM-6 at
user
   sites as a community service.

   There are several organizations/projects that use the LDM to move
substantial amounts
   of data that do not report statistics to Unidata: NOAA, NASA, USGS, USACE,
Governments
   of Spain, South Korea, private compaines, etc.)."

re:
> the complete topology (all the connections established)
> would be perfect, but i understand if my "request" sounds
> abusive of your good will...

I am not sure that we could do this better than what is represented
in the IDD map which you reported as being broken.

We found the reason that the IDD topology map was/is not being created
correctly:  an update to ImageMagick on our web server resulted in
installation of a version of 'composite' that is broken.  We installed
a new version of ImageMagick on a different machine and verified that
'composite' works correctly there.  I created an up-to-date version of
the topology map and have attached it to this reply.  After we install
needed software updates/patches to our web server, the online version of
the IDD topology may should start working correctly again.

re: my LDM/IDD paper
> That would be extremely useful!
> I'll try to search for it. Without wanting to give you
> much trouble, if you have it nearby, I would be glad if
> you could send me a copy

I have attached a PDF version of the paper to this reply.

Ticket ID: DCG-364510
Department: Support IDD