[TIGGE #BJO-661283]: RE: LDM

Hi Xiaofeng,

re:
> Would you please describe current situation of Unidata TIGGE platform for
> us, that will be a good example for us to upgrade our interchange servers.

Actually, we (Unidata) do not have a machine dedicated to TIGGE-related
activities.
NCAR/CISL does, and I see that Doug Schuster has already sent you the
configuration
for the machine(s) that they are using.

Nonetheless, I want to let you know the specifications for machines we
beginning to
use for our toplevel IDD relay cluster, idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

NB: we are not attempting to recommend specific manufacturers or suggest
what pricing you should expect. Rather I am trying to give an overview of the
class of machine that we think will be useful for LDM/IDD work going into the
future.

#  Description                               Price
--+-----------------------------------------+-----
1  SuperMicro workstation 7046A-T 4U chasis  $ 950
2  Intel Xeon Qc E5520 LGA 1366 2.26 Ghz     $ 820
6  Kingston 4 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz CL7           $ 690
1  Western Digital SATA 500 GB 7.2K 32MB HD  $  65
1  Lite-on 20x SATA DVR Drive                $  29
--------------------------------------------+-----
Total                                        $2554

As you can see, this machine has 24 GB of RAM.  What may not be
obvious is that it can take a LOT more RAM than that (128 GB,
I believe, but I am not 100% sure).  The machine has redundant
power supplies and dual Gbps networking and supports large
frames.  We are currently running Fedora 12 Linux, but we will
be upgrading to Fedora 13 in the near future.

I hope that this helps...

Ticket ID: BJO-661283
Department: Support IDD TIGGE