[IDD #JHR-989766]: Assistance in becoming a Unidata user

Hi Jennifer,

re:
> My apologies for the delayed reply.

No worries.

re:
> I have attached the San Joaquin
> Valley APCD's answers to the questions you sent to help get the process
> started for us.  Our answers are in blue font (hopefully).  I am
> currently registered with the Unidata website.

Excellent.

re:
> Thank you for your help and we look forward to the next phase.

Sounds good.

re:
> Questions/answers from included MS Word document:

Just so you know, working with plain ASCII text is much easier for
us (our Inquiry Tracking system is not Windows based).

re:
> We have some questions that need answering to get the process
> started:
>
> - presumably, you (or someone in your shop) has already registered
> with the Unidata website.  If this is not the case, please do so
> as soon as you can.
>
> Yes. Jennifer Ridgway is registered with the Unidata website.
>
> - what is the fully-qualified name of the machine on which you
> will run the LDM?
>
> The name of the machine will be: AWIPS.SJVAPCD.LOCAL
>
> - Also, what is this machine's IP address?
>
> The IP Address has not been determined yet.
>
> - have you verified that there is forward and reverse DNS for
> your machine.
>
> There will be a forward and reverse DNS entry for the device.
>
> This is needed by the LDM(s) that will feed you data.
>
> - what is the operating system on the machine on which the LDM
> will be run?
>
> The O/S will be Red Hat Linux version 5.
>
> - Most helpful would be for you to send us the output of:
>
> uname -a
>
> run from the 'ldm' account on your machine.
>
> - how much disk space does your machine have?
>
> There will 3.4TB of space available to the device.
>
> - what kind of network bandwidth does your site have?
>
> Our site has multiple T1 connections to it.
>
> This will be important when advising you on how much data
> you should be able to get.
>
> - has the firewall at your site been configured to allow outbound
> requests through port 388?
>
> Outbound traffic on port 388 will be permissible.

We will not setup the ALLOWs for your machine until it is up and running.
As soon as you let us know that it is up, please send us an email.  We
will then verify forward/reverse DNS and add the appropriate ALLOWs on
our toplevel IDD relay, idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

Ticket ID: JHR-989766
Department: Support IDD