[IDD #YBK-364817]: Support for connection to upstream data.

Hi Chris,

re:
> My name is Chris Kimmett. I work for IT Division at Metropolitan State College
> of Denver.  As of Aug 12, 2010 we have no longer been able to connect to
> rainbow.al.noaa.gov or striker2.atmos.albany.edu for our upstream data.  The
> error in the LDM logs is: Connection reset by peer. As far as I can tell no
> changes that would affect the pulling of data have happened on our end. Can
> you
> please check and see if the following name/ip are still allowed.
>
> Wxbox.mscd.edu (147.153.1.31)
> Ldmfeed.mscd.edu (147.153.2.4)

I just checked the configuration on rainbow.al.noaa.gov... the following
machines are ALLOWed to request most datafeeds:

ldmfeed.mscd.edu
bora.mscd.edu

One problem seems to be that there is no DNS for ldmfeed.msc.edu:

% nslookup 147.153.2.4
Server:         140.172.240.2
Address:        140.172.240.2#53

** server can't find 4.2.153.147.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

% nslookup ldmfeed.mscd.edu
Server:         172.24.254.20
Address:        172.24.254.20#53

** server can't find ldmfeed.mscd.edu: NXDOMAIN

The other problem is that rainbow was setup to ALLOW feed requests
from bora.mscd.edu.  I distinctly recall an interaction with someone
at MSCD that said that bora was the machine to be allowed, and wxbox
could be removed.  I just added wxbox back into the list of ALLOWs
and restarted the LDM on rainbow.  wxbox should now, at least, get
data.  In order for ldmfeed.mscd.edu to be allowed to get data, its
DNS will have to be fixed.

As far as NLDN data from striker2.atmos.albany.edu, the NLDN data
has not been received at SUNY Albany since about September 2nd.  The
problem is that the owner of the data, Vaisala, stopped sending the
data to subscribers (e.g., SUNY Albany) via a satellite link.  The
folks at SUNY Albany have been working with Vaisala ever since to
come up with some way of getting the data and then relaying it to
the Unidata IDD community.  David Knight (SUNY Albany) sent an email
to the address@hidden email list about the problems getting
the NLDN data the same data the data stopped flowing.  It is likely
that you or someone else at MSCD is not subscribed to the ldm-users
email list, so you did not know of the problems.  Also, even if the
data were available, you might not get it if you were requesting it
from ldmfeed.mscd.edu because of its DNS problem

Requests:

- please contact your network administrator(s) and have them check into
  the DNS issue with ldmfeed.mscd.edu

- please let us know if the data begins flowing from rainbow to
  wxbox

re:
> Thank you for your assistance.

No worries.