[IDD #WQU-836043]: Usage / Copyrights regarding text data (Metar, Synop)

Hi Dieter,

re:
> I have a short question concerning the usage of the weather observations
> that can be found in folders of
>
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?native/nwstg/text
>
> This folder contains a great number of synop and metar observations.

Correct.  The contents are the daily sum of global observations from
the GTS (Global Telecommunications System), at least, the portion that
the U.S. National Weather Service has determined is needed to support
the forecasting activities of their offices.

re:
> Is it
> possible to use these observations for weather analysis whereby images
> with the results of these analyses (based on the mentioned synops and
> metars) are uploaded to a homepage with open access to all interested
> people?

Yes.

re:
> Or are there any restrictions?

There are absolutely no restrictions if the access is done in support
of research and/or education (as per WMO Resolution 40 guidelines).  Moreover,
I believe that there are little or no restrictions on these data for
other purposes, but I can not say with 100% surety, mainly because the
list of products that some countries have declared to be restricted is
"fluid" (changes at will).

re:
> For free VERA analysis (see http://www.univie.ac.at/amk/Veraflex_oa/) now
> we are using other free available observations, unfortunately with a much
> lower data density.

Thanks for the link.  Your site is interesting!

re:
> Best greetings from Austria!

I must say that I have been enjoying being here in Vienna these past few
days.  My visit unfortunately comes to an end tomorrow when I must fly
home to Boulder, Colorado.

By the way, the best way for you/U Vienna to get the observational data
that you desire is to setup a LDM installation somewhere in your lab
and be fed the data in real-time by one or more machines in the U.S.
Please let us know if you are interested in pursuing this avenue of
data delivery!

Ticket ID: WQU-836043
Department: Support IDD