[CONDUIT #JNG-511712]: Access to CONDUIT Datastream Failing

Hi Martha,

re:
> We were collecting CONDUIT data from idd-cise-nsf.gov via our LDM system.
>
> After an office move, and a change in networking configuration, we are
> no longer able to access CONDUIT data.  The LDM log shows this error
>
> Jun 16 04:14:32 noaapxcd idd.cise-nsf.gov[13420] ERROR: Disconnecting
> due to LDM failure; Couldn't connect to LDM on idd.cise-nsf.gov using
> either port 388 or portmapper; : RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable
> to receive

It is most likely the case that your machine's name or IP address changed
or that both forward and reverse DNS no longer exists for it.

Question:

- what is the fully qualified name and IP address of your machine?

re:
> I am assuming that there is a network issue that is causing this, but
> I cannot remember what requirements we originally met to access CONDUIT
> at NSF nor can I locate this information in any of my notes.

At a minimum, there should exist both forward (name -> IP) and reverse
(IP -> name) DNS for the machine.  The way that the LDM's ALLOWs work
is: convert the machine's IP address (which is included in the REQUEST
to the upstream) to a fully-qualified hostname and then see if any ALLOW
rule matches that hostname.

re:
> Can you please advise as to what our network setup should be (firewall
> configuration, etc), and what information regarding our current network
> configuration you may need on your end?

First, we need to know the machine's current fully qualified name and IP
address.  Then we can determine if the failure is due to REQUESTs being
denied on idd.cise-nsf.gov.  At that point we can decide what the best
course of action is.

re:
> Thank you.

No worries.