[CONDUIT #JNG-511712]: Access to CONDUIT Datastream Failing

Hi Randy,

re:
> Is there a specific protocol that the CONDUIT data is fed through.

Yes, the protocol used by the LDM.  The LDM on your machine will make a
request to its upstream feed site on the upstream feed site's port 388.
The port used locally will be randomly chosen, but it will always be
greater than 1024.

re:
> Also, do you know if NSF is on the internet 2 and if so what their IP address
> is?

Yes, the CONDUIT toplevel IDD node at NSF is on I2.  Its name and IP address
are:

idd.cise-nsf.gov  <->  192.12.209.62

As I noted in a previous email, the problem is likely that your machine running
the LDM that is trying to request data from idd.cise-nsf.gov does not have
both forward and reverse DNS.  I asked Martha/you in a previous email to
send us the fully qualified name and IP address of your machine.  If reverse
DNS (IP -> name) does not exist for your machine, we can hardwire a name <-> IP
address pair in the /etc/hosts file on idd.cise-nsf.gov.  We do _not_ want to
do this as it is "brittle", but we can do it to get you going.

re:
> Our network team is asking these questions.

They can lookup the IP address of the machine knowing its name using a tool
like 'nslookup'.

Ticket ID: JNG-511712
Department: Support CONDUIT