[IDD #GOK-818269]: Help -- NEXRAD3 feed no longer working, along with some GOES imagery from UNIWISC

Hi Marcus,

re:
> Things seeming to be flowing ok, given the bandwidth.
> However, I noticed that the NEXRAD3 feed was commented out.

I commented out the REQUEST for NEXRAD3 on Saturday (I think) to see
if the overall ingest situation would measurably improve.

re:
> I altered the REQUEST to this:
>
> REQUEST NEXRAD3 "/p (N0R|N0Z|N0V|N0S|N1P|NTP|NMD|NCR)(...)"
> idd.unidata.ucar.edu
>
> It did not yell at me for syntax when I restarted the LDM;  just wanted to
> check
> with you if this was correct.

The REQUEST line should look like:

REQUEST NEXRAD3 "/p(N0R|N0Z|N0V|N0S|N1P|NTP|NMD|NCR)" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

The differences are minor, but one, at least, is important:

- no space between '/p' and '(N0R' (important)
- removal of unneeded '(...)'

Please remember that you will need to stop/start (restart) the LDM after
making changes to ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf in order for the changes to take
effect.  Changes to on or more pattern-action files, on the other hand
can be made active as follows:

<as 'ldm'>

-- edit your LDM pattern-action file(s)
ldmadmin pqactcheck

-- if there were no errors found in the pattern-action file(s), send
   a HUP signal to the LDM process leader:

ldmadmin pqactHUP

Comment:

- I commented out the NEXRAD3 REQUEST for two reasons:

  - NEXRAD3 is a LOT of data, and you have _very_ little bandwidth
    available

  - the FNEXRAD feed contains national composites of base reflectivity,
    1-hour and storm total precipitation

    For a site that is very short on bandwidth, it might make more sense
    to get and use the composites instead of products from individual
    NEXRADs.  This approach would, however, not allow one to see velocity
    and other fields since they are not combined into national composites
    (for what seems like obvious reasons to us)

re:
> At this point, I am still unsure if the NEXRAD3 request is getting to idd
> at all...it is not showing up yet on rtstats.  I do show it requesting on the
> log file.

I verified that idd.unidata.ucar.edu _is_ getting the feed REQUEST and is
honoring
it (i.e., trying to send the data).  I believe that the packet shaping that is
being done to your connections is preventing any data from getting through on
the
feed.

re:
> -----UPDATE----
>
> Looking at it now, I see many  errors like "readtcp(): EOF on socket 4", and
> one_svc_run():  RPC layer closed connection
> Disconnecting due to LDM failure; connection to upstream LDM closed...

Yup, this is the "red flag" that data is not coming through.  Again, I think
it is a result of the packet shaping.

Recommendation:

- comment out the NEXRAD3 REQUEST and restart your LDM

Ticket ID: GOK-818269
Department: Support IDD