[IDD #JHR-989766]: Assistance in becoming a Unidata user

Hi Tim,

re:
> I'm currently looking into whether we're able to provide a resolvable
> name/IP for this system or if we have to setup an alternative method.

The upstream feed host assigned to feed you data can be configured to
ALLOW your feed requests by IP address, but this is not the typical
way that things are configured.  From our perspective, it will be
best if your machine has forward and reverse DNS.

re:
> I've sent an email to my supervisor already and hope to get an answer
> this week.

OK.

re:
> I'm just getting up to speed on AWIPS in general so my first order of
> business is to get the software necessary and get it installed on a
> system.

Before we go any further, let's make sure that we are still talking
about installation of the same package(s)... I was under the impression
that you would be running GEMPAK/NAWIPS, not AWIPS.  Since we do not
distribute AWIPS, we will be unable to help you if that is the package
you are wanting to install.

re:
> The original VM we have this system up and running on no
> longer exists because it was assumed things would be changing
> significantly...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

OK.

re:
> Could you direct me to the specific packages that I need to download?

First, you will need to download and install the LDM.  The procedure
for this is:

- register with the Unidata website

- after registration is complete AND you have received notification
  that this is the case, login to our website

- in to the Downloads section of our site proceed to the LDM
  area

- download the latest version of LDM, v6.10.1 to the HOME
  directory of the user that will be running the LDM.  This
  user is almost always 'ldm'.

  NB: the LDM should NOT be run as 'root' as this could pose
  possible security-related isses

Information on the LDM can be found as follows:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software

    LDM
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm

Documentation and Training
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/#documentation

  installation guide

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/index.html#installation

NB:

- to fully build the LDM, one must have super user privilege

  Two pieces of the LDM will be configured with setuid root privilege:

  ldmd
  hupsyslog

  ldmd is the LDM server; it must have setuid root privilege to get
  port 388.

  hupsyslog's only job is to send a HUP signal to the syslog daemon.
  This is necessary to "rotate" LDM log files.

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: JHR-989766