[LDM #DQL-151240]: providing ldm feed of NOAAPORT type products to a commercial entity

Hi John,

re:
> Very specifically, what's the policy for allowing an existing
> commercial firm to access DDPLUS type data via the ldm distribution we
> receive? Is that allowed?

There is no restriction on the redistribution of almost all of the
data relayed in the IDD that originates from the NOAAPort SBN
(Satellite Broadcast Network).  The only thing that we all have to
pay attention to are those data products that have WMO Resolution
40 restrictions (which prohibit the reintroduction of those products
into the country of origin).  If the commercial entity that
you are referring to makes raw WMO 40 restricted data generally
available (e.g., through an open website), then there are concerns.

re:
> For the future, we're dealing with spinning up a version of some of
> our data processing in the cloud including ldm receipt and delivery.

Very cool!  I hope that you will share your experience/knowledge with
the entire Unidata community!  Perhaps you would be willing to write
an article for our homepage?

re:
> Eventually, that might be part of a commercial entity, although at the
> present time it is solely a university activity. Are there any
> restrictions on that type of activity?

The two areas to be concerned with are:

- never making WMO 40-restricted data publicly available

  Just so you know, one Unidata site did make WMO 40-restricted
  data available on their web site, and they were contacted by
  the Met Service of Ireland and told to remove it immediately
  or face legal action.

  One other comment:  WMO Resolution 40 specifically _allows_
  use of WMO Resolution 40 products for educational purposes.
  It is the commercial use that raises red flags.

- never making data from restricted feeds publicly available

  The current IDD feeds of concern in this category are:

  LIGHTNING
  PCWS
  WSI

Ticket ID: DQL-151240