[IDD #MVS-951003]: AWIPS2 and bandwidth requirements

Hi Bob,

re:
> Can you give me a clue about bandwidth requirement when AWIPS2
> becomes available from Unidata (hopefully within the next year or so)?

General availability of AWIPS2 will not change the bandwidth that
a site needs to get data via the IDD.

re:
> We have had no bandwidth issues with the LDM at SUNY Oswego,
> but I am wondering if major changes are anticipated with IDD when
> AWIPS2 becomes part of the datastream.

The transition of the NOAAPort SBN (Satellite Broadcast Network) from
DVB-S to DVB-S2 technology over a year ago opened up the possibility
for triple the amount of data to be sent.  Since the IDD relays all
of the data in the NOAAPort SBN, there is the possibility for a
threefold increase in the NOAAPort-derived volumes in the IDD.
The IDD datastreams that derive from NOAAPort are:

HDS
IDS|DDPLUS
NGRID
NEXRAD3
NIMAGE

We are anticipating the biggest increases to appear in the
NGRID (model data), NEXRAD3 (more and more Dual Polarization
products), and potentially NIMAGE (satellite imagery).
My bet is the biggest increase will be in NGRID.

re:
> Will the LDM still be the
> delivery vehicle?

Yes.  In fact, Raytheon has bundled the LDM with AWIPS2!

re:
> Is it likely there will be an order of magnitude increase
> in products available?

As I noted above, the potential is for a threefold increase.

re:
> Since we will be moving into a new building
> next year, I am interested in planning ahead for infrastructure needs.

Please be aware that the volumes of all IDD datastreams tend to
increase in time.  If you are receive non-NOAAPort-derived datastreams,
like CONDUIT, then you will have already experienced a significant
jump in bandwidth use in the September/October 2011 timeframe.

Comment:

- either you are not reporting real-time IDD statistics back to us, or
  I am simply not recognizing the name of LDM/IDD node.

  Are you sending us real-time stats?

  What is the fully-qualified name of your LDM/IDD machine?

Ticket ID: MVS-951003
Department: Support IDD