[IDD #MTL-429470]: FW: ECMWF

Hi Jim,

Jeff Weber of Unidata User Support commented:
If you do not have a *nix OS on any machine and do not want to purchase one,
we have had success running a JVM (java virtual machine) inside a windows
OS.

Actually, Jeff meant to say that we have had good success in running the
LDM in VMware and Openbox Linux virtual machines.  In fact, I run CentOS 6.3
x86_64 on my Windows 7 laptop (which is a Dell Studio 14 that runs an Intel I7
processor; has 8 GB of RAM; and an ATI video card).  This virtual machine
environment provides my development environment (I develop and support
McIDAS-X for Unidata) and a platform in which I can run standard Unidata
software offerings (e.g., McIDAS-X, GEMPAK, IDV (although the IDV runs
better in the native Win7 enviornment), and the LDM).

re:
> OK, that would be good.  What do I need to do?

The short answer is:

- download VMware Player from www.vmware.com

- install VMware Player on your Windows machine

- download a Linux virtual appliance for VMware

  You can find links to a wide variety of Linux virtual appliances
  on the VMware website.  I strongly recommend running CentOS as
  it is the free version of RedHat Enterprise; it is well supported
  and a growing percentage of the Unidata community is moving to
  using it.

- install the Linux virtual appliance in VMware player

- configure your Linux virtual machine

  This will be the same as if your were installing Linux on your
  machine.  You will need to create user accounts, install a development
  environment, etc.

- download and install the LDM in the 'ldm' account in your Linux
  virtual machine

There are a number of installation-configuration related items that you
will run into once you get going (e.g., installation of a development
environment; installation of needed fonts; creation of user accounts;
etc.).  The biggest one (which is not too difficult) is the sharing of
file system(s) between your Windows and Linux environments.  This is
done through a VMware add-on, and it is easy to install.

By the way, a number of folks in the Unidata community are moving down
the virtual machine/appliance path, and a number of those folks are
not using VMware.  For instance, one good alternative to VMware
Player is Openbox.  Which virtualization package you end up using is
entirely up to you.

Ticket ID: MTL-429470
Department: Support IDD