[LDM #ZGC-437176]: Dealing with unreadable GRIB files

> LDM gurus,

Hi Rich,

LDM guru is busy, so you get me :)

> We receive NAM CONUS_12km_conduit and GFS 0.5 deg  fields regularly,
> and we use the 0000 forecast to drive our ocean model forecast.
>
> In the past 9 months we have had 22 files NAM files and 33 GFS files
> that the TDS was unable to read (produces 0 length GRIB index files).
>
> When 0 length GRIB index files get created, the TDS times out on these
> datasets, and our workflow is broken.

Understandable, that is not OK!

> This is an error rate of about 10%.

Well, closer to 2% (4 runs per day), unless you are only requesting one
synoptic time per day, but even 2% is far greater than one would expect, we see
generally 99.98 reliability..if not better.

> Is this expected?

No!

> Is there something we can do on our end to improve the situation?

Maybe, please send your ldmd.conf and pqact.conf so we can see what you are
currently requesting and from whom..and how you are acting on that data. There
may be some goodies here where we can tune and improve performance. If not, we
will bring in the THREDDS folks to see if a configure issue is at play.

> Thanks,
> Rich

Thank you and have a great weekend,

Jeff