[IDD #DLW-777823]: Problems with LDM NLDN configuration

Hi Brian,

re:
> I'll try to make sure to port 8080 gets open tomorrow so RAMADDA can get back
> online.

OK, good.

re:
> Did you install RAMADDA already, so we'd just need to do
> sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat6 restart and it'll be running?

There is one thing that I was working on that did not work.
As soon as I get this figured out, then yes, the procedure
will be as simple as:

sudo service tomcat6 start

re:
> I had tomcat7 on the old system, is it important? Hopefully not.

I don't think using the older version of Tomcat will be a a
problem.  If it turns out to be, I'll install the latest version.

re: FYI: heading to Colombia tomorrow morning

> Sounds fun and interesting!

Traveling is always fun for me.  The workshop should be very
interesting indeed.  You can take a look at the clone of the
Pasi Workshop site I made on a Unidata machine just before the
Pasi machine was taken down for shipping to Cartagena:

http://lead4.unidata.ucar.edu/repository

This site is, as you will see, powered by RAMADDA.

re:
> You'll meet my student Teddy Allen.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of the workshop participants.
It looks to be a good group!

re:
> Oh yeah and can we install xvfb so weather's RAMADDA will serve
> out IDV visuals?

I just installed xvfb on weather:

sudo yum install xorg-x11-server-Xvfb.x86_64

In order to generate IDV grid displays, I will need to install
the IDV on the machine so that the Java instance that accompanies
the IDV is used in preference to the Java that is installed on
the machine.  I will also have to figure out how to setup xvfb
to run continuously and determine if Xorg should not be running
at the same time.

> I see this in yum list:
> xorg-x11-server-Xvfb.x86_64                             1.13.0-11.el6.centos
>                base

Got it.  Xvfb is now installed on weather.

re:
> and I see from ps -A that something called Xorg is a running process.
> So maybe you have it all set up already.

No, this is the standard windowing system that gets installed by
default.

re:
> It seems true as I had heard that weather has a feeble minimal video card.
> The console screen is so coarse, and startup BIOS options wouldn't let us
> allocate it more memory or anything.

It is likely that the machine was intended to be a headless workstation
and so does not have more than a very minimal video card installed.

Ticket ID: DLW-777823
Department: Support IDD