[IDD #HVD-148444]: Weather Observation Stream

> Hello,

Hi Jim,

> I am currently working on research project to incorporate various
> discrete ecological measurement in combination with real-time regional
> weather station data.

Sounds like a good project!

> Currently I am parsing a small selection of APRSWX stations via a tcp
> text stream with APRS2.NET . I am interested in accessing the weather
> LDM streams available via Unidata.

ok

> Is there a formal application procedure for obtaining access?
> or perhaps is there a preferred service to pull real-time weather
> observations from?

There is no formal application process for education and/or research
institutions, that is our NSF guided mission.

The LDM via the IDD is very efficient at delivering real time observations.

Given your research goal the data you will lilely be looking for are going to
be surface observations
that are included in the IDS|DDPLUS feedtype...unless only using US sites, then
DDPLUS would suffice
as the IDS is the international component.

Some useful URL's

LDM: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/

IDD: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/index.html#idd

Feedtypes:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/feedtypes/

The LDM will need to be on a *nix machine that has BOTH forward AND reverse
DNS, and have enough
"power" to ingest your desired feeds.

IDS|DDPLUS is relatively low volume, so if not seeking any imagery (sat or
radar) or model output, then
you can get by with a modest machine..even a *nix VM in a windows or other
environment.

We are happy to help install and configure, root is needed for one step.

Hopefully this is enough info to get an idea how you may want to move forward,
we are here to help!

> Thank you for any suggestions.
>
> Regards,
> James Bittner