[IDD #DQQ-790553]: Request for help with LDM setup

Hi Wesley,

re:
> Wow!  Thanks for all the terrific information!

No worries.

re:
> I will work with our computer folks about the DNS problem... hopefully,
> they'll be amenable to the request.

I can't imagine a reason why they would not be able/want to setup
forward and reverse DNS for your machine.

re:
> Thank you for the information about bandwidth needed.  The space was going
> to be a minor issue... but the bandwidth may require other solutions.

Yes, unfortunately bandwidth is a finite resource for all of us.

re:
> I'm
> assuming we can request only very specific portions of streams?  It sounded
> like you could, but I want to make sure.

Yes.  This requires one to construct a regular expression that identifies
the set of products that one wants.  In principle this is straightforward;
in practice it can either be easy or hard depending on which products are
desired from which datastreams.

re:
> We are also planning on rolling our own plotting/analysis packages.  We're
> teaching/learning Python here and thought this would be a terrific tool for
> the students to help them learn more about it.

We agree.  In fact, we are hosting a Python access to TDS session in our
workshop
training series that starts next week.

re:
> So, we'll need to know a
> bit about the data formats, but I was going to let that come once we got
> the LDM up and working.

OK.  Rolling one's own decoders could be a full time job for someone.

re:
> I'll provide you with the DNS information once I get it worked out with the
> computer center here.

Very good.

re:
> Thanks again!

No worries.  We're glad to help where/when we can.

Ticket ID: DQQ-790553
Department: Support IDD