[IDD #QUJ-627660]: Unidata LDM feed for NOAA experimental model dataset?

Hi Kelly,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiry... it is training
workshop time here in the UPC, so things are not getting attended
to as fast as they normally would be.  As you will notice, I drove
your email into our inquiry tracking system so that more than one
person here in Unidata can respond.

re:
> This is Kelly Mahoney from the NOAA Hydrometeorology Testbed (HMT) in
> Boulder (we met at the IDV tutorial at the WRF Workshop last month!)

I may be old, but I can still remember back to last month (the month
before may be hazy, but...) ;-)

re:
> This morning, a number of us here at NOAA ESRL had a webinar with a
> large audience of folks from universities and the National Weather
> Service regarding HMT data.
>
> One suggestion that came from Gary Lackmann at NCSU was to get our
> experimental ensemble modeling system ("ExREF") on a Unidata LDM feed so
> that university folks could use it for research, classroom instruction,
> and evaluation.

This would be very interesting indeed.  Do you have a feel for how
much data is available from ExREF and on what time scales (e.g., 10 GB/hr
every hour, etc.)?

re:
> In running this by Don Murray (who simply had the misfortune to be
> sitting across the hall after the webinar :)), he pointed us to you as
> the go-to-expert for LDM datafeed creation.

Hmm... thank Don for this :-)

re:
> Ligia Bernadet, cc'ed here, is in charge of the ExREF project, and can
> tell you more about what they have going already; in short, they are
> already offering a very limited slice of information via an LDM feed to
> a single NWS forecast office (Sacramento, CA). So there is *some*
> existing LDM infrastructure, but we really don't know what would be
> involved in bridging that starting point to the type of functionality
> that Gary and others at universities are envisioning (which would of
> course be more fields, from individual ensemble members and not just the
> mean, etc.)

The "limited slice of information" sounds like an excellent starting
point mainly since someone has had to consider what feed the output
is sent in and think about useful LDM/IDD Product IDs so the end-user
can configure his/her LDM to REQUEST and process just what they are
interested in, but no more.

re:
> If you could provide some information on how we might look into this
> further, we would really appreciate it. From there, hopefully we can get
> all of the right people from Ligia's team plugged in, and be able to
> provide this service to our HMT community.

The first steps seem to have already been taken.  In short they are:

- determine the volume of data that would be available
- investigate which LDM/IDD datastream would be most appropriate
  as a feedtype
- create a framework for useful LDM/IDD ProductIDs
- get an idea of how many users would like to be fed the data
- get a test case going with first one, then two, then ... numbers
  of downstream users
- announce the availability of the feed to IDD participants

re:
> Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

We will be happy to work with you/Ligia in investigating the
feasibility of providing this data to the larger community.  It
may be useful to meet face-to-face to discuss the various aspects
of the effort at some point in the not too distant future.  Please
keep us informed as your thinking/planning evolves.

FYI: this reply will have some boilerplate from our inquiry tracking
system that indicates the ticket has been closed.  This should not
be interpreted as us thinking the discussions are over; it is simply
a bookkeeping artifact that can be safely ignored: all follow-up
emails from you/Ligia that include the ticket tag will cause the
inquiry to be reopened in our tracking system.

Ticket ID: QUJ-627660
Department: Support IDD