[IDD #VCD-819322]: FW: Clarification on how LDM, UCAR and Unidata can be used

Hi Mark,

re:
> Thanks for the quick response.  Right now we have several processes that
> engage with our
> NOAA feed and and it is our primary source for much of our data.  We do not
> have a
> proper back-up for several of these and we don't have proper software to
> ingest all of
> this data.  A reliable back-up would be great for our primary data sets and
> the ability
> to look at data that we don't ingest/parse ourselves.  We have commercial
> desires and
> are investigating our options.

OK, thanks for the background information.

re:
> You mentioned that LDM is free and can be used by all.

Correct.  Virtually all of the software that we make available and support
are free and open.

re:
> It seems access to the data and
> its sources appears to be where we would be the question.  Is there a master
> list or a
> resource that can be called to inform those who don't know what data is
> freely available
> and what would require further licensing?

The real question is what site participating in the Internet Data Distribution
(IDD) system would be willing to feed you the data that you are interested
in.  We, Unidata Program Center/UCAR, can do not feed commercial entities
unless there is a measurable benefit to the Unidata community at-large.
There are university sites that participate in the IDD that are willing
to feed data to commercial entities on a quid-pro-quo or other basis.

As far as what data is flowing in the IDD, it is all of the data that
is in the NOAAPort Satellite Broadcast Network (SBN); high resolution
model output from NCEP; NEXRAD Level II data; model output from Fleet
Numerical; model output from the Canadian Meteorological Center;
GOES satellite image sectors produced at the Space Science and
Engineering Center (SSEC) at the University of Wisconsin at Madison
(UW); and National Lightning Detection Network (NLDN) and U.S. Precision
Lightning Network (USPLN) lightning data.

re:
> Also, typically what is a good estimate of
> time and effort to install and have LDM running.

If one follows the installation instructions, downloading, building and
installing the LDM should take no more than a half hour (about 10 minutes
after one gets familiar with the build/install process).  Configuring
the LDM, on the other hand, typically takes a lot longer since a site
has to figure out exactly what it wants AND doesn't want, and what
they want to do with the data received.

re:
> I realize that that last question has
> a lot of dependencies to it, but assume we have a high level rack set-up with
> several
> redhat and fedora servers.

Again, the build/install is quick and painless.  Setting up REQUESTs requires
that the site has permission from one or more upstream sites to do the
REQUESTs, and then there is determining what one wants to do with the
data as it is received.  The problem with the latter step is that it
depends on one's imagination for what is desired.

Ticket ID: VCD-819322
Department: Support IDD