[Staging #QHJ-367428]: Real time data for hydrology in Central and South America

Hi Fidel,

re:
> The IT manager here at the Engineering building has the Linux server ready
> and there is
> a host name for it, cartd.byu.edu
>
> cartd is for "Central American Real Time Data"

Very good.

I have verified that there is forward and reverse DNS for this machine, but
under a different name than cartd.byu.edu:

% nslookup cartd.byu.edu
Server:         192.168.72.2
Address:        192.168.72.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
cartd.byu.edu   canonical name = byu006621srv.byu.edu.
Name:   byu006621srv.byu.edu
Address: 128.187.102.18

% nslookup 128.187.102.18
Server:         192.168.72.2
Address:        192.168.72.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
18.102.187.128.in-addr.arpa     name = byu006621srv.byu.edu.

187.128.in-addr.arpa    nameserver = edns2.byu.edu.
187.128.in-addr.arpa    nameserver = edns3.byu.edu.
187.128.in-addr.arpa    nameserver = edns1.byu.edu.

David Andrus said:
> Just an FYI - this DNS name was JUST barely created, so it may take up to 24
> hours
> before it works for everyone worldwide.

OK, this may be the reason that my 'nslookup' tests returned the
canonical name byu006621srv.byu.edu.

re:
> Please let us know what is the next step.

The next step is to verify that you are (or are not) ALLOWed to
REQUEST data from the top level IDD relay node that we operate here
in UCAR:

<login as 'ldm' on cartd.byu.edu and run>

cd ~ldm
ldmping idd.unidata.ucar.edu

The response to the 'ldmping' test should look like:

Oct 25 20:25:46 INFO:      State    Elapsed Port   Remote_Host
rpc_stat
Oct 25 20:25:46 INFO: Resolving idd.unidata.ucar.edu to 128.117.140.3 took
0.000471 seconds
Oct 25 20:25:46 INFO: RESPONDING   0.002911  388   idd.unidata.ucar.edu

The operative part of the output is the 'RESPONDING' indication.

The next thing to try (after killing the 'ldmping' test with CTRL-C) is:

notifyme -vl- -f ANY -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu

This should result in a continuous listing of data products that are
available on the top level relay idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

The next thing after this is to decide which datastream(s) you want
to REQUEST.  We can discuss this step after you have run the tests
above.

re:
> Thank you very much for your help.

No worries.

Last comment:

- have driven all of our previous exchanges into our inquiry tracking
  system, and I am answering your and David's emails from this system

  In the future, please send all questions/comments directly to our
  inquiry tracking system by using the To: address:

  address@hidden

  The reason for sending new/follow-up email directly to our inquiry
  tracking system is that more than one person will be monitoring the
  system, so any questions you have are likely to be answered quicker
  than if you contact Unidata staffers directly.

Ticket ID: QHJ-367428
Department: Support IDD