[IDD #TRW-898526]: LDM setup

Hi Russell,

re:
> I apologize, I should've proof read my email before sending it to you.
> I have experience maintaining an already configured LDM
> installation(meaning monitoring the service, using the ldmadmin
> commands, etc). This is the first time I set one up.

I understood this from your first email.

re:
> This is a totally new server, new IP,

This was the part that was not clear in your first email.  Knowing
that that is a new installation on a new machine, and seeing the REQUEST
lines from the ldmd.conf file you want to use allows us to quickly
determine the likely source of the problems you are experiencing.

re:
> etc and I am following the steps from the url below
> to find out what my upstream sites are so that I may ask them to allow
> my server to download the data from their server.  I hope that clears
> things up.
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/configuring.html#upstream
> feeds
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/configuring.html#upstream
> config

The active REQUEST lines I see in your ldmd.conf file are:

REQUEST WMO ".*" atm.cise-nsf.gov
REQUEST WMO ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST  FSL5  "^FSL\.CompressedNetCDF\.MADIS\.(mesonet4)"
ldm.madis-data.noaa.gov
REQUEST NOGAPS "^US058GMET-GR1mdl.0058_0240.*" usgodae3.fnmoc.navy.mil
REQUEST NOGAPS "^US058GMET-GR1mdl.0027_0186.*" usgodae3.fnmoc.navy.mil
REQUEST NOGAPS "^US058GMET-GR1mdl.0060_0188.*" usgodae3.fnmoc.navy.mil
REQUEST NOGAPS "^US058GMET-GR1mdl.0063_0187.*" usgodae3.fnmoc.navy.mil

Comments on these REQUESTs:

- atm.cise-nsf.gov was decommissioned several years ago, so this
  REQUEST line should be commented out or removed from your ldmd.conf
  file

- the IP address you indicate is for your new machine, 205.234.135.123,
  does not have the DNS that is needed to allow upstreams to easily
  add ALLOWs for your feed REQUESTs:

% nslookup 205.234.135.123
Server:         192.168.72.2
Address:        192.168.72.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
123.135.234.205.in-addr.arpa    name = server.softwarecommercials.com.

/home/mcidas/Downloads% nslookup server.softwarecommercials.com
Server:         192.168.72.2
Address:        192.168.72.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   server.softwarecommercials.com
Address: 205.234.163.78

  Except in extraordinary circumstances we require that sites feeding
  from LDM/IDD relays that we operate (e.g., idd.unidata.ucar.edu)
  have forward and reverse DNS.

- since we are funded by the National Science Foundation to support
  U.S. universities, we typically do not feed commercial entities

  We make exceptions to this rule when there is a measurable benefit
  to the Unidata community as a whole.  Can you remind us of what
  your business does and how this could benefit the community?

- since we do not operate ldm.madis-data.noaa.gov, we can not setup
  the ALLOW needed on that machine so that your feed REQUEST can be
  honored

  You should contact the LDM/IDD administrator of that machine and
  work with him/her to get the FSL5 data.

  NB: it is possible (likely?) that the LDM/IDD administrator of
  ldm.madis-data.noaa.gov will require that your machine have
  fully working forward and reverse DNS before updating their
  ldmd.conf ALLOW(s) for your new machine.

- since we do not operate usgodae3.fnmoc.navy.mil, we can not setup
  the ALLOW needed on that machine so that your feed REQUEST can
  be honored

  It appears that usgodae3.fnmoc.navy.mil is no longer the machine
  being used for NOGAPS data distribution.  We REQUEST the NOGAPS
  data from nrlgodae1.nrlmry.navy.mil, so that may be the machine
  that you will be required to REQUEST NOGAPS from.  This is, of
  course, up to the LDM/IDD administrator of nrlgodae1.nrlmry.navy.mil.

  You should contact the LDM/IDD administrator of that machine and
  work with him/her to get the NOGAPS data.

  NB: it is possible (likely?) that the LDM/IDD administrator of
  nrlgodae1.nrlmry.navy.mil will require that your machine have
  fully working forward and reverse DNS before updating their
  ldmd.conf ALLOW(s) for your new machine.

re:
> I have attached my ldmd.conf which is just a copy from the previous
> server(which is still up and running) I have maintained in the past.

Thanks, this was very helpful.

re:
> I'm not sure some of the server names are still valid.

Many are not (please see above).

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.