[IDD #YYZ-448816]: LIGHTNING (FT14,NLDN) and HRRR

> Hi All

Hi John,

We "had" Mary Tyree as the site contact for UCSD..on aeolus.ucsd.edu

Are you replacing Mary, or are you managing just "atmos"?

We can then update/correct the site contact list at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/sitelist.html

> I am the manager of atmos.ucsd.edu:
>
> http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?atmos.ucsd.edu
>
> I am requesting you enable the LIGHTNING (FT14,NLDN) for our site to
> support our wildfire research grant.
>
> http://wifire.ucsd.edu/
>
> WIFIRE is funded by NSF 1331615 under CI, Information Technology Research
> and SEES Hazards programs

Great, please direct your request for NLDN to:

Dr. David Knight
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
University at Albany
State University of New York
address@hidden

..the above info came from:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning/nldn.html

All NLDN requests are fed point to point from SUNY-Albany.

As for the HRRR, you can request that from us via:

idd.unidata.ucar.edu

the HRRR is on the NGRID feeedtype, are you interested in the complete output?

The volume is high on the HRRR feed, and currently it appears as if you are
experiencing some latency issues..via:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?CONDUIT+atmos.ucsd.edu

Did you recently re-set the clock on atmos.ucsd.edu?...or maybe some packet
shaping or throttling going on perhaps?

With these large latencies ( > 3000 seconds), it may be difficult for "atmos"
to keep up with the HRRR feed (3-4GB/hour)

> I am also interested in becoming an ingestion site for the HRRR model
> output.

I am concerned that your data ingest is not optimal, and you are likely
dropping some products when you are at your peak latency.

We are here to help :)

> John
>
> John Graham
> UCSD / QI