[IDD #PEW-246783]: Fwd: Re: [ldm-users] Spotty reception of HRRR data

Hi Harry,

re: Which machine at UWisconsin are you referring to?
> I just passed on the message they sent to me.   I do not know which machines
> they are talking about.

OK.  I just checked the NGRID volume plot on idd.ssec.wisc.edu (the IDD
relay we operate in the SSEC Data Center machine room), and it matches
the volumes seen on the primary NOAAPort ingest machines that feed into
the IDD:

lenny.unidata.ucar.edu
leno.unidata.ucar.edu
jackie.unidata.ucar.edu
np1.ssec.wisc.edu
np2.ssec.wisc.edu

I then checked other machines that are receiving NGRID from
idd.unidata.ucar.edu,
and their volumes match what is available on idd.unidata.ucar.edu which, in
turn, matches the volume on the NOAAPort ingest machines above.  Given all
of this, it appears that the problem is somehow isolated to UW.

The question now is what could be causing the problem between us/SSEC and
UW?  Quite frankly, this one has me baffled mainly since the volumes
for the other feeds that UW is getting looks good (e.g., CONDUIT, NEXRAD3,
NIMAGE, IDS|DDPLUS).

Recommendation:

- see if implementing feed REQUEST(s) to either both of the other top level
  IDD relays helps:

  idd.tamu.edu
  idd.meteo.psu.edu

re:
> I am only asking for the HRRR data on both freshair1 and freshair2:
>
> request NGRID                                   "HRRR" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

Hmm... this would change the view that I gave above in comparing full
NGRID volumes.  Since we are not processing HRRR separately, it is hard
for me to comment on whether what the HRRR volume should be.

Question:

- why not REQUEST all of NGRID instead of just fields labeled as HRRR?

re: are freshair1 and freshair2 behind a NAT?
> No.

OK, this definitely eliminates one possibility.

Ticket ID: PEW-246783
Department: Support IDD