[IDD #TUP-838796]: Source of WMO pireps from idd.unidata.ucar.edu

Hi Paul,

re:
> Can you tell me where idd gets the PIREPs that arrive on the WMO feed when
> I request from idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

PIREPs originate from the NOAAPort Satellite Broadcast Network (SBN), and they
are distributed in the IDS|DDPLUS IDD datastream.

NB: WMO is a compound feed type that contains the IDS|DDPLUS and HDS feeds
both of which originate from the NOAAPort SBN.  If you are receiving PIREPs
in a singular feed labeled as WMO, they are likely being received from a
site that is incorrectly labeling as WMO.  I say incorrectly labeling only
in the context of being fully compatible with the standard feed type
definitions listed in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.12.14/basics/feedtypes/index.html

Ticket ID: TUP-838796
Department: Support IDD