[LDM #VIU-792449]: How to find incoming direct radiation data

> Full Name: Wonsook Ha
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> Hello,

Hi Wonsook,

> My name is Wonsook. I have been working with Dr. Witold Krajewski at the
> University of
> Iowa.

Great!

> I wonder which LDM feed provides "incoming direct radiation (W m^-2)" data
> from the High
> Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) experimental
>
> http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_jet&domain=full&run_time=03+Mar+2016+-+10Z

What I find is the EXP from ESRL does not appear to have the radiation fields,
but the operational HRRR from NCEP
at least has these fields:

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_ncep_jet&domain=full&run_time=03+Mar+2016+-+10Z

...but "sniffing" the feeds for:

DSWRF - Incoming Short wave
NSWRS - Net Short wave Radiation Surface
USWRF - Outgoing Short Wave

Parameter names from:
http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/GRIB2Table_GSDrap_2d.txt

I get no results....

I know we were feeding the National Water Center the HRRR from the NGRID feed
in ~hopes of them being able to get the SW fluxes, but I sure do not see any
radiation fields in our data stream with this naming convention.

> I understand that not all HRRR data are available in Unidata stream. But, we
> currently
> download some other variables available at HRRR experimental using LDM's
> NGRID feed.
> That's why I would think the incoming direct radiation data could also be
> downloaded
> using LDM.
>
> I also wonder about one more thing. Where can I find the list of available
> data lists
> for LDM feeds? I tried data usage guide at Unidata website

We do not maintain exhaustive lists of data that flows through the IDD, most of
that data we are just passing along and have no contol over the content, or its
documentation. So nit is at a much coarser level...i.e. grids...and it is a
very dynamic space, things change quite often.

> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/DataFlow.html
>
> and click GRIB2 data format under "format" column. There are tons
> of variables that I like to look at, but I do not have any solid idea where
> to start
> (ex. which LDM provides which datastream). Also visited LDM-6 feed types
> website
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/feedtypes/
>
> But, most of links do not show exactly what data are available.
>
> Can someone answer my two questions above? Or can you let me know whom I need
> to contact?

You found the right place to ask, but we do not have exhaustive knowledge on
the content of the third party streams we deliver.

Is there a specific parameter i.e. NSWRS (Net Short Wave Radiation Surface)
other than the ones I listed above you are looking for...maybe I am sniffing
for the wrong parameter?

> Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,
>
> Wonsook