[IDD #YZT-868804]: IDD feed policies for commercial entities

> Hi...

Hi Art,

> We've had a couple of requests from commercial entities to provide data
> feeds via our IDD platform. Our policy is to provide feeds only for
> non-commercial entities, partly for internal reasons, but also because
> of uncertainty as to whether this is allowed by Unidata. At
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/legal/participation.html
>
> the "Provision of Data" section states "...participants must be
> affiliated with one of the following: a degree-granting institution, or
> a not-for-profit institution with an education and/or research mission",
> which to me would indicate commercial entities would not be allowed to
> participate. However, it seems there are some commercial entities that
> do receive IDD data streams through one channel or another, and in the
> past, Unidata has discussed the possibility of providing data to users
> outside the edu/gov community.

Yes, this policy is for IDD participants feeding from the Unidata Program
Center.

> Could you clarify what the Unidata policy is for distributing IDD data,
> particularly in regards to commercial entities?

OK, here is the deal:

Once the data is in your domain, you can do with it as you wish. i.e. feed a
commercial entity, there are sites that currently do this.

CAVEAT!!!! You CANNNOT pass on any proprietary data. This would include
lightning (of any kind) and ACARS (PCWS) data, and if you had WSI mosaics, they
would not be allowed to be shared either.
VERY IMPORTANT not to pass along lightning data.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

> Thanks... Art
>
> --
> Arthur A. Person
> Research Assistant, System Administrator
> Penn State Department of Meteorology
> email: address@hidden, phone: 814-863-1563

Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support