[IDD #LKI-843928]: IDD for Business Use

> Dear Unidata,

Hello Marcus,

> I work for a company that is involved in providing weather information
> and formatting for local newspapers located through the contiguous US
> and certain regions of Canada.  We are currently trying to expand to the
> digital age by implementing a website where we can provide "real time"
> radar products, warning, forecasts, etc., for the general populace.
> I wanted to ask you if the feeds for the LDM IDD are available for
> just servers with a .edu extension, or if outside sources can access
> such feeds.

The Unidata IDD/LDM is not for commercial use, the Unidata Program Center
feeds only sites for research or educational purposes.

That being said, universities can feed other types of organizations the IDD
feedtypes that
are NOT proprietary. .

Proprietary data: i.e. Any lightning data (NLDN, USPLN, GPLN, etc..), PCWS
(ACARS), or any WSI radar or WSI composites
CANNOT be passed on.

So, for example, if you still have a relationship with the university you had
LDM experience with, you could get a feed
from them. There are other universities that can and do feed out
non-proprietary data with relationships
they have established.

 I have used LDM extensively at my university, so I am
> quite familiar with the capabilities and convenience it provides for
> data retrieval.

Great, glad you enjoy using the LDM :) Which university?

> Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Sorry it took so long, hope this helps!

> Sincerely,
>
> Marcus N. Morgan II

Jeff