[LDM #FGZ-978731]: LDM installation and configuration at USNA

Hi Alex,

I figured out why the Perl decoders are not working on your system,
and the fault was entirely mine!

Each of the netCDF Perl decoders depends on two Perl packages that are
not installed by default.  The solution to the problem is for your
system administrator (Bonnie or Steve) to run the following on your
machine:

<as 'root'>
yum install netcdf-perl perl-TimeDate

After these packages have been installed, all you should need to
do is make sure that the EXEC action that runs 'pqact' using the
pattern-action file that contains the netCDF Perl decoders is
not commented in the LDM configuration file ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.

The EXEC action I am talking about looks like the following when
not commented out:

EXEC    "pqact -f WMO etc/TDS/pqact.obsData"

If this ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf line is commented out, you need to edit
the file, uncomment the line, and then restart the LDM:

<as 'ldm'>
-- edit ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
   make sure that the EXEC line I refer to above is not commented

ldmadmin restart

After doing this, the Perl decoders should start creating subdirectories
of /data/ldm/pub/decoded/netcdf

re: a promise to send you a fleshed-out LDM scour configuration file,
~ldm/etc/scour.conf

I just reviewed the entries in the 'scour.conf' file we use on our
system that was used as the prototype for your installation, and I
don't think that any of the added entries are needed by you.  Because
of this, I am _not_ sending you are replacement file.

Please let me know your results after the steps above have been completed.

Ticket ID: FGZ-978731
Department: Support IDD