[LDM #CCZ-778806]: data sharing policies

Hi Kelly,

Since your inquiry was not LDM-specific, I moved it into a different
area of our inquiry tracking system (support-idd)...

re:
> we've come to an impasse in our web portal design that has caused us to
> re-evaluate the policies for sharing our ldm feed.
>
> i wanted to be sure that the data that comes over the ldm is not
> protected. we're in the throws of a nist-800-171 audit. its been quite
> a ride. it would be good to know that the ldm feed is public.

The _great_ majority of data being relayed by the LDM in the IDD have no
restrictions on sharing.  The current exceptions to this "rule" are:

LIGHTNING - NLDN and USPLN lightning data

WSI       - this feed type was used by WSI to relay NEXRAD Level III products
            to paying customers quite some time ago.  We think that it is
            no longer being used, so we are going to re-purpose the feed
            to relay new data

PCWS      - this feed was used to relay ACARS data

re:
> i also wanted to see what the policy conventions for sharing data with
> other agencies. we've discovered municipal, educational and corporate
> agencies fetching data from our feed. how are other ucar members setting
> their policies for data sharing?

The blanket ALLOWs that we are using on our top level IDD relay clusters
basically look like:

allow   ANY-LIGHTNING-WSI-PCWS  \.edu$                  # All US .edus
allow   ANY-LIGHTNING-WSI-PCWS  \.gov$                  # All US .govs
allow   ANY-LIGHTNING-WSI-PCWS  \.mil$                  # for mil sites
allow   ANY-LIGHTNING-WSI-PCWS  \.int$                  # for ECMWF, EUMETSAT
allow   ANY-LIGHTNING-WSI-PCWS  \.org$                  # for Museum of
Science, Renaissance Computing Institute (NC State), COLA, NMSU/CSBF, STAR
Institute

I hope that this helps!

Ticket ID: CCZ-778806
Department: Support IDD