[IDV #QRI-631387]: IDV looping problem

Hi Eric-

> Full Name: Eric Kelsey
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home version:
> 1.5.0_13 j3d:1.3.1
> Description of problem: I downloaded a month's worth of NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis
> data and untarred it.  There is one file for each 6-hourly time.  I want to
> be able to loop SLP with IDV for the whole month.  However, it seems that
> because each time is a separate file IDV won't loop them properly.  I have to
> load each time separately (another problem with 120 times) and then it just
> overlays each time ontop one another.  Pressing the "play" button doesn't do
> anything but show all selected fields on top of one another.  Do I need to
> merge the data files into one grib file?  Or is there another way around
> this?  Thank you.

The problem is that each grib file has a different analysis time so the
aggregation doesn't work in version 2.5.

I just released a new nightly build which supports aggregating multiple
NARR files into one dataset.  You can select the files in the Files Chooser
and set the Data Source Type to Aggregate Grids by Time.  That will load
in all the files as one cohesive unit.  You can then subset the times/data
as usual.

The nightly build should work, but we don't consider it production code.
If you are daring and want to try it, let us know if you find problems.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: QRI-631387
Department: Support IDV