[Support #XEF-238929]: IDV 2.6

Hi Ken-

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I've moved this over to our tracking
system so it won't get lost in my inbox.

> I am the person who was having trouble loading vis5d files to IDV.  In
> your most recent email to me, you indicated that you had generated a
> correction and that I should test it.  The IDV version 2.6 with the
> correction has been downloaded but version 2.6 will not run on my
> computer.  I get the error message:
>
> Could not create a graphics configuration.
> Please contact Unidata user support or see the FAQ
>
> The error in the window is:
>
> Java 3D WARNING : reported GLX version = 1.2
> GLX version 1.3 or higher is required
> The reported version number may be incorrect.  There is a known
> ATI driver bug in glXQueryVersion that incorrectly reports the GLX
> version as 1.2 when it really is 1.3, so Java 3D will attempt to
> run anyway.

The problem is that the 2.6a3 verion uses an updated version of Java 3D
which needs GLX 1.3. I'm guessing that the XWin-32 software doesn't support
that version of GLX.

> IDV version 2.4 runs fine on the computer.  My desk top links to the linux
> system where IDV runs using XWin-32.  Do you know the potential cause of
> the problem and how to fix it?   Thanks.

Can you try downloading and running the installer labeled
"IDV 2.6a3 Installer for Linux/x86 with Java 3D 1.3.1":

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/nightly/ftp/idv_2_6a3_linux-i386_j3d1_3_1_installer.sh

That uses an older version of Java 3D that doesn't need GLX 1.3 (the
same as the 2.4 version).

Don Murray

Ticket ID: XEF-238929
Department: Support IDV