[IDV #YKC-408877]: Java3D GLX warnings

Dave-

It's a  graphics driver problem.  I have a JRE bundle with
Java 3D 1.3.1 that you are welcome to use.  I just list it
on the web site as a different installer.  This only seems
to be an issue on Linux.  On windows, it will use DirectX
if it doesn't have the right version of OpenGL.

JOGL will not help because it requires the same version of
GL and GLX.

Don

> Don & Jeff, TomW suggested that I send this to you, from one of our
> users:
>
> ----
>
> Java 3D WARNING : reported GLX version = 1.2
> GLX version 1.3 or higher is required
> The reported version number may be incorrect.  There is a known
> ATI driver bug in glXQueryVersion that incorrectly reports the GLX
> version as 1.2 when it really is 1.3, so Java 3D will attempt to
> run anyway.
> ERROR: Creating display master
>
> I did look at the FAQ page for McV and it says that the solution is to:
>
> Replace Java3D 1.5.1 with 1.3.1
>
> Is this really the solution?  Why does it not work with 1.5 or 1.6?
> Do I really need to tell everyone that we distribute this to that they
> are going to need to install an older version of Java?  I thought that
> is why we chose Java because it is portable?  Sorry, I am really just
> trying to understand, and I am a little frustrated.
>
> ----
>
> Is there a good solution for this?  Do graphics card drivers play a
> role?  Might JOGL help?  Since we package Java3D with the installer,
> it is not really a "user-level" action to replace the Java3D version.
> One workaround might be to include different versions in the
> installer, and let the user pick which one they want rather than have
> a confusingly large number of separate installers.
>
> Thanks,
> DaveP

Ticket ID: YKC-408877
Department: Support IDV