[IDV #SWO-606878]: IDV question

Hi Bill-

> Here is a question/comment sent to me by the other instructor at ISU who
> has
> attempted to use IDV for his teaching.  I thought it was interesting and
> you should see it:
>
> "One complaint that I have recently generated regarding IDV is the fact
> that the data archives aren't
> transparent to the user.  The user
> should not have to pick a data source as far as I am concerned.  I built a
> few bundles for mteor 111 which
> accessed data on the
> motherlode machine.  Ya, I know, this was probably a mistake to start
> with.  Anyway, for some reason,
> motherlode seemed
> unaccessible for the past week, although I could access the data from the
> other source (NSF-ATM).  Because
> of this, my bundles
> were completely broken.

If there are ever problems accessing motherlode, please let us know
immediately.  I only know of a couple of times that it was unaccessible
recently, so this is surprising.  Were the bundles pointing to the
latest dataset or a specific one that may have been scoured off?

> They wouldn't work because they couldn't locate
> the source.  I don't understand
> why IDV doesn't have
> a list of sources for model data and have the ability to get the data from
> what ever source works.

We have thought about this, but currently do not have the capability
to query servers.  That was an eventual goal of the THREDDS project.

The
> user doesn't care where
> the data comes from, they just want the data.  Do you see what I am
> getting at?  I would have liked my
> bundle to just look for GFS
> data from whatever source works, not fail because the particular site I
> happened to build the bundle from
> crashed."

I agree that would be a good feature.

However, you can change the data source when you load in the bundle.
When you select Open... for the bundle, you can click the "Change data"
button on the Open dialog and it will prompt you for the new datasource.
You can then select a new source for the data.  Not automatic, but it
is a way around the problem if the server is down.

Don

Ticket ID: SWO-606878
Department: Support IDV