[IDV #YPH-121185]: Movie animation capture with large datasets

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Sorry to bug you, as I'm sure you're quite busy. :)

My apologies. We've just come off a 8 day training workshop binge.

> I was just wondering if you had any news or updates on this issue for me
> to tell our user.
>
> After talking with him again, he was also wondering if there would be a
> better NetCDF file structure that he could follow and use to get the
> lightning data to read as point data to circumvent this issue at this
> time.  I looked through your website a bit and found a "Best Practices
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/BestPractices.html>"
> page, but as I am not too familiar with netCDF files, I thought I would ask.

I am moving this ticket over to the java-netcdf group and will ask them to look
at this data to see why we can't open it as point data.

As to the movie capture - once we can read this as point data I would suggest
binning the times in the point data source (look at the Properties dialog for
the data source). Then in the display do not try to do an accumulation - that
takes alot of processing at every animation time step, i.e., we have to figure
out what observations to show at every step  and there are alot of them.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: YPH-121185
Department: Support IDV