[IDV #PLQ-498677]: loading trouble

Hi Dave (and Pat)-

> I am bring in Dr. Pat Market of Missouri to our thread, as he is the one
> who introduced me to IDV and is much further along on the learning
> curve.
>
> Here, we are using the NAM from the motherlode.
>
> What would be great is to be able to plot winds actually on the
> isentropic surface so that we could more accurately infer/analyze
> upglide....

Do you need this in 3D or does a 2D plot suffice.

> Right now we are using the 3d isentropic surface colored by RH.  But in
> order to infer upglide we are having to plot the wind fields on the
> pressure surfaces.  This is OK but it would be much better to actually
> just have the wind field plotted in isentropic coordinates.

It will be a while before the IDV can do this interpolation itself.
As I mentioned, the IDV can plot the GEMPAK isentropic grids.
Some Unidata sites run the GEMPAK GDVINT program to convert
the realtime grids to isentropic coordinates.  These could be
served up on a THREDDS Data Server by Pat's department and read
into the IDV.  I know they get the grids via LDM and run GEMPAK.

I've attached a display of pressure and winds on the 288 K
surface from a GEMPAK file created by GDVINT.   Is that
the type of display you are looking for?

> Pat, I hope that you feel that I have explained this well enough.
>
> Thanks everyone for a great product, and for being willing to help make
> it better!

Don

Ticket ID: PLQ-498677
Department: Support IDV