[IDV #BEX-121009]: IDV 2.6b2: Cross-section contour plots

Hi Dave,

> I have run into several issues with IDV 2.6b2 when trying to construct
> a temperature contour plot in a vertical cross section through a NAM
> 40 km analysis (from CONDUIT). I've attached a bundle to try to
> illustrate.

> (2) In the cross-section display, contours are plotted outside the
> wire frame box, even though "View > Cross Section > Show >Clip View At
> Box" is turned on. (In contrast, turning on "Display > View > Show >
> Clip View at Box" does clip the view in the main display.)
That looks like a bug. I'll have Don look at that when he gets back next week
from his travels.

> (3) Although "Edit > Properties > Display Label > Add Macro" shows
> "Cross Section Position" as one of the options for a display label,
> adding it (%position%) to the display label doesn't show anything. As
> a result, the only way to indicate the location of the cross section
> on a hard-copy of the plot is to specify that info by hand in the
> display label. (Capturing the cross section "full window" as an image
> will include the lat/lon locations of the endpoints, but that also
> captures the menu headers and other undesirable contents of the full
> window.)

A bug and its fixed and will be in tonight's nightly build.

> (4) Although "Edit > Change Contours > Dash" is checked in the
> Contour Cross Section display, the contours for temperatures below 0C
> are not dashed except when they are oriented vertically (though they
> were dashed in the original plot, before I quit the IDV and reloaded
> the bundle). This remains true after clicking on the "Apply" button.
> (Maybe the next time I load the bundle they'll be dashed again!)
The dashing seems to be working on my end. Maybe this was something wrong with
the version you are running.

> (5) John Monteverdi was trying to figure out how to change the
> horizontal axis units and labels to show lat/lon instead of distance
> along the transect, but I think we've already commented on that point
> several years ago and he's out of luck. Given the new availability of
> publication-quality PDF and PostScript output, he did expect Excel-
> like control over the number of tick marks, tick mark labels, and axis
> labels, though! (Having no control at all over those things is
> limiting, I have to agree.)

The axis labeling is something we need to work on.

> (6) I couldn't save the display in PDF format for some reason,
> even after I installed Adobe Reader 9.0. I could print to my printer,
> though.

It looks like there is a bug when trying to write out the cross section
as a pdf. We'll fix it.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: BEX-121009
Department: Support IDV