[IDV #HOJ-697269]: draping fields over topography OTHER than geopotential he ight

Hi Jerry-

Happy New Year!

> Full Name: Jerry Blechman
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.5\jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: Hi guys,
>
> Getting ready for the spring semester.  I'd like my students to analyze a
> couple of snowstorms
> that we've had recently so I'm writing some new labs which use the IDV.
> I've saved a couple of zidv files
> so I have the data. I was trying out some views I want them to study and
> realized something:
>
> When you choose to view a field like mixing ratio or maybe streamlines, it
> would be really useful to
> be able to drape it on an isentropic surface.  When I try to create that
> display (streamlines over topography,
> color-filled contour plan over topography, etc), I find the ONLY topography I
> can choose is a geopotential
> height field.
>
> Is there a way to display fields draped over a field of constant potential
> temperature?  Since winds tend to
> stay on the isentropic surface, that way one could follow advected parameters
> all the way from their
> sources.  I haven't found a way to do that, though.
>
> Thanks.  Happy New Year.  I used to think the 21st century was SO far away.
> Now we're almost to the
> second decade of it!

At present, you can only drape over topography.  Since the vertical
dimension in the display is altitude, there needs to be a mapping to
some sort of altitude field.

We do have plans to support isentropic coordinates at some point, but
it is not in the short term list of things to do.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: HOJ-697269
Department: Support IDV