[IDV #UOO-942258]: Question concerning data formats compatible with IDV

Hi Andy-

> I am a new user of IDV, and have been a user of GEMPAK off and on for
> many years. We currently use the UNIDATA LDM software to manage download
> and manage data files that work with GEMPAK, including output from
> various models, sounding files, METAR files, NEXRAD radar files, etc. I
> find that IDV can handle the gridded model output files that GEMPAK
> uses, and also the NEXRAD radar files. However, I cannot get IDV to
> properly read the GEMPAK-compatible satellite imagery, METAR, or upper
> air files, at least as far as I can go with them. Is there some data
> type setting in IDV that will allow it to use these GEMPAK files? If
> not, Is it possible to use LDM to bring in satellite, METAR, and upper
> air files compatible with IDV? I do not manage the LDM myself, but could
> get the person here who does manage it to bring in different data files.

Currently, we only read the GEMPAK grid files as you found, but hope to
have the point data reading done in the next 6 months.  The best way
to access the point and upperair data is through the McIDAS ADDE servers
at this point.  We will be working on efficiently reading point data
from netCDF files in the work we are doing for the GEMPAK point data.

The satellite data should be readable by the IDV.  It comes across
as either GINI or McIDAS AREA data and that's what GEMPAK reads.  You
can read those in using the File chooser and setting the type to
Grid files (I know, not intuitive, but it should work).  It would be
good to subset the data using the Data Source properties or the
Data Subset panel.

> We have a synoptic lab this semester in which 7 students are
> simultaneously using IDV on 7 different machines. If everyone is
> separately bringing in all of the data they need from remote servers,
> the lab gets really bogged down and files take many minutes or more to
> load. To the extent that we can use files already on our local file
> system, I think the lab will proceed much more smoothly.

Alternatively, you could run a THREDDS Data Server (TDS) or ADDE
server locally to access your local datasets.  If you want help with
that, let us know.

> Thanks for your patience with helping a newbie.

No problem.  Let me know if you have more questions.

BTW, we will be putting out a 2.6u1 release tomorrow that fixes a couple
of bugs, so if you haven't installed IDV yet, you might want to get that.

Don

Ticket ID: UOO-942258
Department: Support IDV