[Support #ZFI-856751]: Re: Offset Error w/default LAT/LON radar locations

Hi Ben-

> Unidata User Support wrote:
> > Hi Ben-
> >
> >> I look forward to hearing from them.
> >>
> >> (and I err'd, I can't adjust KCXX in NexRad single scans, I was looking at
> >> the
> >> location for the range rings which I can adjust).
> >
> > I found two references that agree with our location.  However, NCDC has
> > a slightly different longitude (-73:09:59):
> >
> > http://mi3.ncdc.noaa.gov/mi3qry/identityGrid.cfm?fid=32963&PleaseWait=OK
> >
> > so I will adjust that in the IDV station table.
> >
> > How are you creating the KML/KMZ file?  Are you reprojecting to a lat/lon
> > projection before saving the image?  I created a display from KCXX, used
> > the Projection->Use Displayed Area to set the projection to lat/lon,
> > added Range Rings and changed the location to CXX, set the spacing of the
> > rings to 1 km, zoomed in and saved it as the attached foo.kmz.  When I load
> > that into
> > Google Earth, the center of the inner ring appears to be right over the
> > radar.  This was using the old position for CXX.
> >
> > There is some roundoff when making the radar rings using the display
> > projection,
> > but if you set the location with the station, it should be pretty spot on.
> >
> > You can increase the displayed resolution of the lat/lon with the
> > Preferences.
> > Go to the Edit->Preference menu and in the dialog, click the Formats & Data
> > tab, and set the lat/lon format to be ##0.0##  (or add more # to the end for
> > more "precision").
> >
> > Let me know how you are creating the KMZ file and we'll see if we can track
> > down what's going on.
>
> Essentially, I load up a Level2 NexRad radar file.. that view (range rings or
> not) is what I save using the capture command for the view.

You will need to reproject the data to a lat/lon projection since Google Earth
can
only handle rectillinear projections.  The native radar projection will not
work.
If you use the Projection->Use Displayed Area menu, it will create a lat/lon
projection
based on the region showing in the display.

> I'll send an example tomorrow if that's ok. What I'm doing is pretty straight
> forward... so if it's a bug it shouldn't be hard to reproduce.
> I know there's an update tomorrow.. so I'll test before downloading... and
> then after... how's that sound?

I'm not sure when the next update will be, but there will be a nightly build
later
tonight with the latest coords for CXX.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Don