[Support #UGD-165381]: Storm Relative Mean Velocity In IDV

Hi Jacob-

> I have been given a formula that is used to derive Storm Relative Mean
> Velocity.  I received a response from Mrs. Liz Quoetone of the Warning
> Decision Training Branch and she actually referred me to Mr. Dave Zittel
> of the Radar Operations Center.  I have pasted his response which
> contains the formula below:
>
> I looked at the rpg code and it's what I expected.
> Storm Relative Mean Radial Velocity  =  (Mean Radial Velocity) -
> StrmSpd  *  cos(StmDir - CurrAzm)

The big question is where do you get the storm speed/dir from?

> I am not an expert with math; can you understand how to interpret the
> formula and how I could use this to derive the SRMV from Radial Velocity
> in the IDV?

Is there some reason you can't use the Storm Relative Mean Velocity
Level III products?  They are generated from the Level II at the radar
using a standard algorithm.

Don

> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 08:10 -0700, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
> > Hi Jacob-
> >
> > > I have a quick question regarding radar data in the IDV.  Is there a way
> > > to display Storm Relative Mean Velocity from level 2 NEXRAD data in the
> > > IDV?  I have learned how Storm Relative Mean Velocity is derived from
> > > the Radial Velocity product in level 2 NEXRAD data.  Could there be a
> > > way to derive the Storm Relative Mean Velocity from Radial Velocity
> > > radar data and thus display it in the IDV?  I recieve and view level 2
> > > NEXRAD data from your recently added TDS catalog in the IDV.
> > > If this feature is possible, could it work also with TDWR data?
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > It will depend on the formula that is needed, but theoretically yes.
> > Can you provide the formula?
> >
> > Don
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: UGD-165381